On February 5, 2005 Jeffery Weiss, a staff writer for the Dallas Morning-News, wrote an article in which he implies that Dr. Yusuf Ziya Kavakci, the Imam for the Dallas Central Mosque in Richardson, promotes anti-Christian and anti-Jewish sentiment amongst our community. The article was then followed up by an editorial by Bob Mong, editor of the Morning News, on February 7, 2005.

As all of you know, Dr. Kavakci is a well respected leader in our community and has never been quoted as riling up such hatred, whether it be during a Jummah khutbah or an Eid khutbah.
This is not the first time something the muslim community has been faced with such accusations, and wil not be the last. This is obviously nothing to be alarmed about, we should stay calm but firm. Allah is definitly testing our unity. So stay strong, after hardship, comes ease. :)

So your proably thinking..."Ok..sooo...what can I do?" Well here ya go!

WHAT YOU CAN DO: ACTION ITEMS

1.FLOOD THEIR IMBOXES!!!

2.BLOCK THEIR PHONE LINES!!!  Call between 10a-12p on Monday February 13th!!!!

The following is a list of the people to contact. Remember, please be professional.
Bob Mong - Editor
214.977.6670
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeffery Weiss - Writer/Religion Section
(the writer of the original article)
214-977-8738
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sharon Grigsby - Deputy Editor/Editorial Opinion
214 977-8494
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I encourage EVERYONE to send this action alert to the editor of the Morning News. Below is a letter you can copy and paste into your own email. You may also want to copy and paste the body of the letter into an email and forward it to your family and friends!!

Dear Sir,

The article published in the Dallas Morning News on February 5 and the editorial related to it published on February 7, 2005 regarding the religious practices of the Islamic Association of North Texas and its spiritual leader (Imam) was an outrage. The implication that our organization and religious leader promotes anti-American, Jewish and Christian hatred has absolutely no foundation.

Our Imam regularly attends interfaith gatherings and addresses Christians and Jews alike as brothers and friends. He refers likewise to them in his sermons at our mosque. We have seen thousands and thousands of non-Muslims visit us over the last few years to learn about our religion without incident. Would this be possible if we hated them?

The mere fact that the imam and the management interacts continuously with the people of other faiths nullifies your accusations. I have attended this mosque for years and have never heard a word of hatred promoted by the Imam or any leader of this institution. Furthermore, I have never seen any published materials distributed, offered, displayed or discussed that promotes hate of any people or this country.

The Muslim community of North Texas is outraged and tired of the continuous anti-Islamic and anti-Muslim rhetoric that is being printed by your newspaper with monotonous regularity. It is time that this comes to an end.

Sincerely,

Ahlam Said

"Go to college, gain some knowledge, stick it through. If they can make penicillin out of molded bread, they'll make something out of you."
        -Imam Zaid Shakir, ISNA-South Central Dallas Regional Conference 2004

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links