Warid Press <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:To:
From: Warid Press <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:35:15 +0800 (CST)
Subject:  Imam Malik on Revering the Prophet (s) after His Death

Imam Malik on Revering the Prophet (s) after His Death
al-Qadi `Iyad said in his book al-Shifa', section "Revering the Prophet after
his death":

Mus`ab ibn `Abd Allah said:
Imam Malik, whenever the Prophet (s) was mentioned, his color would change, and
he would incline his body until those who were sitting with him felt
discomfort. This was mentioned to him and he said: "If you had seen what I have
seen you would not blame me for what you see now. I used to see Muhammad ibn
al-Munkadir--and he was the master of the scholars (sayyid al-qurra')--and we
dared not ever ask him about a hadith except he wept until we pitied him."

Commentary

Without any discussion of the authenticity, accepting this narration on the
authority of Qadi `Iyad, we can infer several important points, without taking
this as fiqh in any way:

First is that people may find such a display of emotion as that evoked by Imam
Malik strange and even consider in their minds that it is disapproved of in
shari`ah, as adduced from the narrator's words: "until those who were sitting
with him felt discomfort."

Second is that when a person is in a state of `ishq or extreme love to Allah
subhanahu wa ta`ala and His Prophet (s), he cannot be blamed for his actions
which appear in him as a result of that intense love. And this is adduced from
Malik's words "If you had seen what I have seen you would not blame for what
you see now."

Third is that showing intense emotion, to the point that it affects one's
physical appearance and actions, is not forbidden in Islam, rather, when
spontaneous and sincere, evoked by the remembrance of one beloved, is a sign of
true faith and great yaqeen (certainty). And this can be adduced by Malik's
words "I used to see Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir--and he was the master of the
scholars (sayyid al-qurra')--and we dared not ever ask him about a hadith
except he wept until we pitied him." His affirmation that Muhammad ibn
al-Munkadir was master of the scholars, is Imam Malik's way of saying that "if
he accepted to fall into such a state of intense weeping, and he was my teacher
and the master of all the scholars of Madina, then who can blame me if a
similar state obtains in me?" This is enough to show that such a display can
not by any means be considered a manifestation of shirk, nor is it bida`, but
when it appears spontaneously, from love or fear or other intense emotion, is
 acceptable and blameless.

Fourth is that such a display of emotion, when evoked sincerely and not for
show, is not limited by any specific form of action or physical effect, but is
whatever appears in a person in terms of movements, weeping, exclamations,
shaking and so on. And this is adduced from the narrator's words "his color
would change, and he would incline his body " and from Imam Malik's words "he
wept until we pitied him."

Fifth is that the use of the term sayyid for the Prophet (s) and for other than
the Prophet (s) is permissible and is an action done by, and therefore promoted
by one of the earliest great masters of fiqh, Imam Malik (ra), as in his words,
"and he was the master of the scholars (sayyid al-qurra')."

Further Narrations

Further narrations of the reverence of other great Tabi`een and pious
predecessors are found in the book of Ibn Qunfudh al-Qusantini al-Maliki (d.
810) Wasilat al-islam bi al-nabi `alayhi al-salat wa al-salam:

"It was the practice of the Pious Predecessors and the Imams of the past that
whenever the Prophet was mentioned in their presence they were overwhelmed by
reverence, humbleness, stillness, and dignity. Ja`far ibn Muhammad ibn `Ali ibn
al-Husayn ibn `Ali ibn Abi Talib (Ja`far al-Sadiq) would turn pale whenever he
heard the Prophet mentioned. Imam Malik would not mention a hadith except in a
state of ritual purity. `Abd al-Rahman ibn al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr
al-Siddiq would turn red and stammer whenever he heard the Prophet mentioned.
As for `Amir ibn `Abd Allah ibn al-Zubayr ibn al-`Awamm al-Asadi (note: one of
the many early Sufis), he would weep until his eyes had no tears left in them.
When any hadiths were mentioned in their presence they would lower their
voices. Malik said: 'His sacredness (hurmat) is in death is as his sacredness
was in life.'"

Source: Abu al-`Abbas Ahmad ibn al-Khatib, known as Ibn Qunfudh al-Qusantini
al-Maliki, Wasilat al-islam bi al-nabi `alayhi al-salat wa al-salam (The means
of Islam with the Prophet, peace be upon him) (Beirut: Dar al-gharb al-islami,
1404/1984) p. 145-146.

And Allah knows best,

the Editors, As-Sunna Foundation of America

Would you Help a Child in need?
It is easier than you think.
Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links