Living the Quran
Al-Baqara (The Cow)
Chapter 2: Verse 208 (partial)

De-compartmentalising the Heart

"O you who believe! Enter into Islam wholeheartedly, without reservation."

The Quran states that true taqwa cannot be attained until all your actions in life are done exclusively to earn the pleasure of Allah. Your qalb (heart) cannot be compartmentalised. You cannot dedicate one piece of it to Allah and another to some other god, like wealth, status, career, spouse and so on.

There is a beautiful verse in the Quran which throws light on the absurdity of such a situation. It tells about some of the mushrikin or idol worshippers who sacrifice animals and then say that one part of the animal is for Allah and another is for their idols. The verse then states quite clearly that whatever is assigned to Allah is also, in reality, assigned to the idols, for Allah does not accept something divided between Him and others. He is One, indivisible and wants the human being to be undivided in service to Him. So long as our heart lies in a hundred places, so long as our eyes are set in a hundred directions, so long as we have many loyalties, we shall never be able to achieve that condition of 'holding onto Allah'.

Why should we allow divided loyalties to capture parts of our heart? Nothing in this world is going to be of use to us when we breathe our last, however hard we may have striven for it and however valuable it may seem to us. We must recognise that the prizes we seek are not the worldly possessions received from human beings like ourselves. It is only our Creator who can put a real value on our striving and bestow on us a real reward.

Source: "In The Early Hours" - Khurram Murad

Ramadan Mubarak

O ye who believe! Fasting was ordained for you as it was ordained for those before you so that you may remain conscious of Allah.
Translation of the Holy Qur'an, 2:183