Rensselaer Senior Named One of Top 10 College Women

by Glamour Magazine

http://news.rpi.edu/campusnews/update.do?artcenterkey=1048

Ghofrane Benghanem

Photo of Ghofrane Benghanem courtesy of GLAMOUR Magazine, October 2005

Ghofrane Benghanem is tutor, biochemistry and biophysics student, Muslim, hospital volunteer, woman mentor, biomedical researcher, community advocate, teaching assistant, and more. She also has recently been named one of Glamour magazine’s Top Ten College Women in the United States.

“As a scientist, being included in a mainstream magazine that is read by many American women demonstrates the opportunities for women in science,” said Benghanem, a fourth-year student at Rensselaer. “I want to let women know that science offers so many ways we can and should be making a difference. Let’s allow girls to think of science as a career choice.”

Benghanem is profiled in the October 2005 issue of Glamour, on newsstands now, in recognition of her leadership on campus, involvement in the community, excellence in field of study, and unique, inspiring goals. She was chosen by the magazine’s editors from more than 700 female college seniors around the country.

As part of her experience at Rensselaer, Benghanem is working as an undergraduate researcher in the lab of Linda McGown, professor and chair of chemistry and chemical biology. “Ghofrane conveys a natural self-assurance, a remarkable sense of comfort in her own skin,” said McGown. “For me, she is a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.”

Ten Top College Women

Photo of Top Ten College Women in the United States courtesy of GLAMOUR Magazine, October 2005

Benghanem says she has benefited from the supportive environment at Rensselaer. “I have the most wonderful women mentors and role models at RPI, and it will be hard for me to leave after graduation,” she said. “I look around and see all the women here who are making a difference in science and are open to sharing their experiences. It makes it easy for students to find role models and see how we can get there.”

What’s next for Benghanem? She will graduate from Rensselaer in May and plans to go on to medical school and continue practicing biomedical research. Her lifelong goal is to make a difference in geriatrics. “I’m open to new experiences,” she said. “I love knowing that there are always more options to explore.”

The Glamour profile on Ghofrane Benghanem

Published September 26, 2005

https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/i.n.daily