‘It’s All Because We Lack Unity’

MAULANA KALBE JAWWAD is a well-known Shia cleric. Along with his famous uncle Maulana Kalbe Sadiq, he is a champion of Shia-Sunni unity. Excerpts from an interview with MOHD. ASIM KHAN:

What problems do Indian Muslims face today?
There are a lot of problems being faced by the Muslims in India. There are social, economic, political and cultural problems. But I think the root cause of these problems is the disunity among the Muslims. If this problem of disunity is solved then I think we will be able to solve at least 90 per cent of the problems.

But most of the Muslim leaders are either afraid of speaking out openly or are selfish. That is why the Muslims are off and on made the target of oppression but they cannot raise their voice against it. If we have unity amongst us and stand on a common platform, we would be able to send across a stronger message.

Do you think Shia-Sunni unity is also important?
Yes, it is very important. And not only Shia-Sunni, unity among all the other groups and sects is equally important. I think the dissensions among Ulema must remain up to the Ulema only. They should not be allowed to percolate down to the public.

Are you doing anything to create unity among Muslims?
Of course, we are doing. (Laughs) our family is “notorious” for the same, that is, Shia-Sunni unity. The extremists amongst Shias do not favour us because we always talk Shia-Sunni unity. My uncle Maulana Kalbe Sadiq is also trying hard to create a friendly environment between the Shias and the Sunnis. And a large number of people, who are educated and mature, support us. But still, we need a lot more voices supporting our stance. We need more people to come forward and raise their voices in this connection. Only a few people like us are not enough to carry this burden.

Today Muslims have formed various organisations and instead of uniting with each other, every big organisation wants that the rest of the organisations should merge into it. This is not the right approach. It makes the problem more complicated. The right approach is that we must learn to co-exist at the same time in the same environment like a bunch of flowers. A bouquet is beautiful only because it has flowers of different colours and hues.

You mean different groups should try to understand each other.
Exactly. See, it is not possible to merge all the Muslim organisations into one big organisation. This is simply not possible. However, it is very much possible to form a confederation of different organisations. That confederation should be allowed to take decisions for the whole Ummah.

I often say there should be a supreme council of Ulema which should guide the Muslims in religious as well as political matters. The AIMPLB’s role is confined to religious matters only. It does not guide Muslims in political matters. Thus, it is important to have a supreme council consisting of Ulema from all the sects. At least 90 per cent of people are with Ulema. So, if Ulema are united, it means the common people are united.

Which national political party should Muslims support?
I think Ulema should decide unanimously which party Muslims should join or support. If you are going to different political parties in small numbers, you have no value for them. They treat you as their slaves. But if you go to a single party and in a large number then you would get all the respect due to you. Today every political party uses Muslims for its own interests and then forgets them. No party seriously works for the welfare of the Muslim community.

Should Muslims get reservation?
Reservation must not be given on the basis of religion in the first place. This is unconstitutional. However, it can be given on the basis of the economic and social condition of a community. So, if there are people in the Muslim community who are economically, socially, educationally backward, they deserve reservation. But not on the basis of religion. Again, caste also must not be the basis for reservation. A person of a so-called high caste may be poor and deprived and a person of a so-called low caste may be well-off. Now, who deserves reservation? Obviously, the former, that is, one who is poor.

Today Muslims in India are educationally backward, who will you hold responsible for this condition of the Muslims?
Poor economic condition of the Indian Muslims is largely responsible for their backwardness in the field of education. But then, it is a vicious circle. If you have money, you’ll have education and if you have education, you’ll have money. Muslims are entangled in this situation. A majority of Muslims in India are poor and hence, they cannot and do not send their children to school.

The government provides free primary education?
Of course, the government does. But many people send their children to work and to earn money. So, they don’t send their children even to schools where education is free of cost. Because they would be deprived of the money their child is earning.
What has been the role of madrasas in imparting education to Muslims?
Madrasas basically provide religious education. So, the people after getting educated at a madrasa usually become Imam or Mudarris. Theirs is a different field. They are not very well-off. We cannot say that madrasa graduates are highly educated.

Your message for our readers?
I would like to reiterate that the condition of the Muslims is not good. All the political parties are using us for their interest. Muslims were not in a good condition in the past, neither are they now. And it is all because we lack unity. If we can become united, especially our top Ulema, then we can become invincible. So, my message is: Be united. Unity is strength. I would once again say that there should be a supreme council of Ulema, empowered to take decisions on issues confronting the Muslims.

GO TO http://www.radianceweekly.com and click on the link 'Face-to-Face'