Interview With Fuad Nahdi    The Radical Middle Way was launched in London in
2005, following the recommendations of a Muslim task force set up after the
London transport bombings in July 2005. In this interview, Fuad Nahdi, director
of the Radical Middle Way and founding editor of the progressive Muslim
magazine Q-News, talks about the organization's aim to bring a back-to-basics
theology to Islam and how to counter an "estimated $15 billion" global
investment in spreading extremist ideology. This is an edited transcript of an
interview that took place in October 2006.
    “According to intelligence reports during the last 30 years, investment has
been put into this extremist ideology. We are talking estimates of over US$15
billion. To the best of our knowledge, there is no ideology in the history of
mankind that had such massive resources put into it on a global level. ”
  Q: Linden MacIntyre: Take me past the obvious contradiction in terms. How can
there be a radical middle?
  A: Fuad Nahdi: The radical middle way is based on the premise that most of
the discussion about Islam is held in a context of extremism on both sides. So
actually to be moderate, to be in the middle, is radical because it's different
from the perceived notion around us.
  Q: How did this extremist thinking become so prevalent in a faith and culture
that tends not to be extremist?
  A: It's not something that happened overnight. It has taken decades to
develop. According to intelligence reports during the last 30 years, investment
has been put into this extremist ideology. We are talking estimates of over
US$15 billion. To the best of our knowledge, there is no ideology in the
history of mankind that had such massive resources put into it on a global
level.
  Q: Where has that money been spent?
  A lot of the money has been spent on creating the intellectual framework -
books; university departments producing thousands of graduates and sending them
across the world to promote this thing; building centers, some of them here in
the West; paying imams and local leaders. If an imam gets a hefty salary, he is
free from any local consideration. And if he is well educated, he's given the
kind of intellectual tools to become influential in society. Then vulnerable
young people, who have been rejected by the system, swarm around these people.
Even now, if you look, some of the most dynamic professional Web sites belong
to these kinds of people who run the extremist shop.
  Q: What label do you put on this extremism?