Muslims have to build social and political networks in order to improve the
condition of society, argue two leading American scholars

by HAMZA YUSUF and ZAID SHAKIR

Improving the world in which we live is an Islamic imperative. God says in the
Qur'an, "You are the best of communities brought forth for mankind." (3:110)
Abu Su'ud describes this verse in his commentary: This means the best people
for others. This is an unambiguous expression which states that the good
[mentioned here] lies in benefit provided to the people. This is also
understood from the expression, "brought forth for mankind" — namely, brought
forth to benefit them and advance their best interests.[1]

Our Prophet Muhammad, may the peace and blessings of God be upon him, said,
"God will continue to assist the servant, as long as the servant is assisting
his brother."[2] We can thereby understand that divine aid and succor will
accrue to this community as long as we are providing the same to fellow members
of the human family.

Historical basis for involvement

In today's socio-political environment, concern and benefit can be
understood as civic involvement. The word "civic" is derived from the word
"city." Hence, civic involvement refers to the meaningful ways in which a
private citizen is best involved in the life of his or her city. Despite its
appearance in a largely agrarian context, if we consider the nature of the
dominant means of economic production at the time of its emergence, Islam is
best associated with the city. Our Prophet, may the peace and blessings of God
be upon him, is identified with the city. God mentions in the Qur'an, "I
swear by this city, and you are a free man of this city." (90:1-2)

The Prophet's migration was from Mecca to Medina, from one city to another.
Islamic learning and culture is associated with great cities — Damascus,
Baghdad, Cairo, Isfahan, Samarqand, Bukhara, Tashkent, Qayrawan, Fez, Cordova,
Seville, Granada, Istanbul, Sarajevo, Zabid, Timbuktu, Delhi, and many others.

It was the involvement of Muslims in the lives of these cities, many of which
were established before the arrival of Islam, which defined them in their
historical contexts. As Muslims, our involvement in the life of our cities
should similarly leave a lasting and positive mark on them. Surely we have much
to offer in that regard. It is not without purpose that God has placed us in
significant numbers in and around the great metropolises of America. Now
is the time for our constructive involvement in the lives of these cities to
commence.

Such involvement is especially critical in these times of political
transformation and the redefinition of both the role and scope of
government here in America. As the two major political parties become
increasingly responsive to special interest groups, particularly those
associated with big business, large unions, and wealthy individuals, their role
as facilitators of democratic and civic involvement is being eroded. This shift
in responsiveness is leading to what is referred to as a dealignment of those
parties. This dealignment causes private citizens to search for new
institutions to serve as their primary means of political involvement, which
consequently results in the proliferation of smaller, grassroots civic
organizations. The collective weight of these organizations and their
facilitation of direct citizen involvement in local politics is viewed by some
as the reinventing of American democracy.[3]

Position of Muslims and contributions

The potential contributions of Muslims and the benevolent influence of
Islam in this process are tremendous for a number of reasons. In terms of
addressing issues associated with poverty, the social welfare policy of both
governmental and non-profit organizations has centered on what has been
referred to as "a deficit model that focuses on the deficiencies of
individuals and communities, rather than building upon the individual,
associational, and institutional assets and networks that already exist."[4]
This deficit model systematically weakens citizens and communities, as
the power of governmental and private agencies ascends. As government retreats
from the obligations assumed by the welfare state, the aforementioned
organizations are threatened. Hence, the existence of this ineffective model is
also threatened. As a result, an opening exists for Muslims to provide an
alternative model of civic involvement and activism.

The unique position of Muslims is rooted in the dichotomous nature of our
community wherein less affluent, largely minority converts and recent
immigrants live in inner-cities, while more affluent and established
immigrants reside in suburbs. This dichotomy creates a situation in which the
Muslims of inner-cities have a tremendous potential of social capital, or the
ability to draw on developed internal communal support systems and networks
with other organizations, such as churches, schools, neighborhood associations,
local politicians, and small interest groups. On the other hand, Muslims living
in the suburbs have tremendous intellectual and financial capital. If we
could constructively bring these two reservoirs of capital together, we could
develop a demonstrable model that could initiate a revolution in American civic
participation. That revolution lies in our potential to reverse one of the most
damaging implications of suburban sprawl-the depletion
 of intellectual and material resources from the inner-city.
Rudimentary efforts undertaken by Muslims to counter this trend have already
begun. Organizations such as the Inner-City Muslim Action Network (IMAN) in
Chicago combine the material and intellectual resources of suburban Muslims
with the organizational expertise and networking potential of inner-city
Muslims to create a dynamic synthesis that is having an ever greater impact on
the life of both Muslim and non-Muslim communities.
  In Los Angeles, the Umma Community Clinic demonstrates how the vision and
focused action of suburban university students can create a major center that
provides one of the few venues where poor residents of the South Central Los
Angeles community can receive free basic medical care and referrals for more
advanced treatment.
  In the Washington, DC area, The Zakat Project initiated by the All Dulles
Area Muslim Society (ADAMS) builds bridges of goodwill and helps to initiate
avenues of communication and coordination between the wealthy Muslims of
suburban northern Virginia and the poorer communities of inner-city Washington,
DC.
  In Richardson, Texas, the Islamic Association of North Texas (IANT) provided
the funding to renovate one of the oldest mosques of inner-city Dallas.
  In Santa Clara, a suburb in the southern San Francisco Bay Area, the Rahima
Foundation works in collaboration with Masjid Warithuddin of inner-city Oakland
to help feed three hundred families a month.

If we can expand and develop these efforts, a new and unprecedented model of
civic involvement can emerge. This development is in no way limited to the
social service sector. Mobilized social capital would inevitably engender
deeper models of citizen involvement that involve greater forms of
self-governance and enhanced collaboration with other economic, social, and
political actors.

However, for these developments to occur, we need a revitalized type of
Muslim-one who is instilled with a bold and God-conscious vision. This is why
the Agenda to Change Our Condition is so important. If implemented, it will
engender Muslims with a healthier relationship with God, and a healthier
relationship with God will lead to a healthier relationship with our neighbors.
That enhanced relationship will in turn lead to a change in our collective
condition, God willing.

May blessings and peace be upon the
Messenger of Allah, as long
as those who remember
him continue to
do so...

  Endnotes

1. Abu Su'ud Muhammad b. Muhammad, Irshad al-'uqul al-salam ila mazaya al-Kitab
al-Karim (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-'Ilmiyyah, 1999), 2:17.
  2. al-Nawawi, al-Minhaj, 9:24, no.2793.
  3. See Carmen Sirianni and Lewis Friedland, Civic Innovation in America:
Community Empowerment, Public Policy, and the Movement for Civic Renewal
(Berkeley: University of California Press, 2001), p.1.
  4. Ibid., p. 11.

  The above excerpt is from a newly published book by HAMZA YUSUF and ZAID
SHAKIR, Agenda to Change Our Condition, Zaytuna Institute, Hayward, California,
2007

saiyed shahbazi
  www.shahbazcenter.org