I'd like you to know that I will never harm you. I will protect you as best as
I can. You are my neighbour, and you deserve it. As long as I consider myself a
believer, it is your right and my responsibility that you be safe.

  I don't blame you for having a skewed image of me. Every day, it seems like
there's another story that undoubtedly affects your perception of the Muslim
community. Whether it be the ridiculous response to offensive cartoons, or the
nearly daily attacks that take place in our war-torn countries, it must be
difficult for you not to think we're just a little bit suspicious. The Aqsa
Parvez murder case in Canada, which has dominated headlines this past week,
certainly does not help our case.

I know that all of our condemning doesn't change a thing. I'd like you to know
how much I am sincerely saddened by what is happening. Whether or not our
sister Aqsa was murdered for hijab or not is hardly even relevant to me; she
was killed nonetheless, and this is something that cannot be accepted under any
circumstances. Please don't think we are lessening her death because the hijab
link is, at best, tenuous. She was meant to be loved and cherished as any
daughter should, and it pains us that we could not be there for her when she
needed us.

I know, you've already read this. You've already heard us say how Islam means
peace and that such actions have no place in Islam. I've heard you, when you
sarcastically make mention of our "religion of peace". You wonder how we can
keep echoing this refrain, even when not a day goes by when this statement is
not challenged. You may think we're incapable of seeing reason, of seeing the
reality of what is going on in the world. You may believe we're stubborn,
foolish, and blind because we still hold on to our faith in spite of the
hateful acts being associated with it. Perhaps you're afraid of us, thinking
that behind our condemnations lie people who, in an instant, can commit the
same unspeakable acts we're condemning.

Do you know what our Prophet, peace be upon him, told us? He repeated thrice,
"He does not believe! He does not believe! He does not believe!" Who was he
referring to? "That person whose neighbour does not feel safe from his evil."
Do you feel safe, being my neighbour? If that's not the case, I am afraid for
my soul. I will do whatever I can to make it up to you. I cannot change what is
happening in the world, but I'd like you to know that I will never harm you. I
will protect you as best as I can. You are my neighbour, and you deserve it. I
know, my words alone don't mean much, but for as long as I hold this belief in
my heart, I will do my part. As long as I consider myself a believer, it is
your right and my responsibility that you be safe.

I want you to know why we hold on. It is not because we are blind, but rather
because we have seen much more. It's because we've read about what our Prophet
Muhammad, peace be upon him, brought to the world. It's because we have learned
his teachings, and have become better people because of it. Because we saw how
a corrupt society of nomadic tribes became a beacon of light and guidance for
the world over through those teachings. Because we saw how that message
instilled love and compassion amongst those warring tribes, and brought them to
the heights of morality and progress. Because we have heard the verses of the
Qur'an and the sayings of the Prophet, the wisdom of which can transform hearts
of rust and stone into hearts of gold. Most of all, it's because we have felt
our own hearts become illuminated by this faith, by the conviction in the
oneness of the Creator of the universe, and His promises for His creation.

I wish you could feel it. I wish you could feel the incredible words of the
Qur'an touching your heart the way it touches mine. I wish you could see it for
the miracle it is, and see how Allah has preserved it through the miracle of
hifz (memorization). When I see students of the Qur'an reciting hundreds of
pages from memory in a language they cannot speak or understand, I cannot help
but feel awed. I wish you could see that, hear that, and let it touch your
heart as it has touched mine.

I wish you could feel the peace I feel when standing before my Creator among my
companions in faith. Right now, millions of people are gathered in Makkah,
worshipping together. Just think about that. Millions. Imagine every single
person you passed by on the highway driving to work this morning stepping out
of their vehicle and prostrating next to you, joined with you in submission to
One Creator. Maybe all those commuters make up a few thousand people. Now,
think about every other highway in your city, and add them to the mix. Then
think of everyone else in your city, sitting at home, and include them in your
congregation. Then everyone else who has already reached their offices - let
them all join you. Now maybe - just maybe, you've reached a million people.
That's what we see every year at Hajj. People of every colour and race, united
in belief, all gathered together in one place, joined together in worship.
Kings and beggars joined together, their foreheads upon the
 ground, in glorification of the Most High, the Most Merciful. This is why we
still call it the religion of peace. You'll need to witness this spectacle
yourself to truly appreciate it.

I wish you could see Islam for what it is, and not for the cultural practices
that predate Islam but continue to hinder our society. You will see then that
the honour killings you hear about, the misogyny and hatred, is in complete
opposition to Islam. You will see why our sisters defend their faith with such
fervour and strength. You will see how much we love them, and how strongly we
regard our families. You will see why we believe that Paradise lies beneath the
feet of our mothers. You will read about the great women from our history,
among whom were the first to accept Islam, and the first to be killed for that
belief. I wish you could see what these women were willing to sacrifice in
order to hold on to Islam, for it raised the status of women the world over. I
wish you could see how Islam liberated and honoured these women, while it is
only culture and ancient tradition that has shackled and disgraced them. Often,
I wish we could see that as well.

There is so much I wish you could see and feel, but alas, the responsibility is
upon me to convey the message. I hope that I am conveying the message
correctly, and that I have helped shed some light upon your doubts and
concerns. I regret that someone better than myself could not deliver this
message to you, for surely I fall short of the kindness and respect that Islam
instructs me to show to you. I do hope you accept me for who I am, in spite of
my shortcomings. I'm trying.

I am not asking you to forgive us. I'm not even asking you to change your mind;
that's up to you. I only want you to know that I want the best for you,
irrespective of what you believe about me. You are my neighbour, and I cannot
neglect your rights. If you ever need something, you know where to find me.

  Faraz is a technology consultant based out of Ottawa, Canada, serving clients
across the country. He is a former editor and occasional contributor to a
Muslim Canadian newspaper, and one of the editors at ijtema.net, where this
piece originally appeared.

saiyed shahbazi
  www.shahbazcenter.org