What are the requirements for text to be searchable in PDF?

What I'm doing is this.

I'm trying to create an alternate method to generate mainframe xerox forms.

I've created a parser for the xerox form language that will create
PDFTemplates.

When I go to match the report data to the template I have to be very
explicit (the forms are many, and very complex), So I determine the spacing
to use and put the report line to the template 1 character at a time.

---CODE SAMPLE---

     formTemplate.beginText();
     formTemplate.setFontAndSize(baseFont, pointSize);
     //Write out the report line a character at a time
     for (int i=1; i < lineSize; i++) {
          if (String.valueOf(lineChar[i]).trim().length() > 0 &&
!Character.isISOControl(lineChar[i])) {
               formTemplate.setTextMatrix(new Float(xVar).floatValue(),
height - (new Float(yVar).floatValue()));
               formTemplate.showText(String.valueOf(lineChar[i]));
          }

          xVar = xVar + charSpacing;

     }
     formTemplate.endText();

---CODE SAMPLE END---

My problem is the report data is not searchable.  I've tried putting the
data out in "words" (buffer until space), and using setCharacterSpacing()
to keep things looking good.  But if I use setCharacterSpacing(>1) the
report data is not searchable either.

Thanks for the help,
Matt