        copyArea is raster oriented. If it's needed it's best to draw to a
BufferedImage.

> Some of the paint object stuff is hairy as well.  Its designed to describe
> raster paint.  You'd have to somehow map that to pdf's equation stuff
> (which
> I'm also not an expert of).  I have both the O'Reilly Java 2D Graphics and
> the Adobe PDF Reference books.  I'd highly recommend both for this type of
> thing.

        Things are better here. Jim's implementation even supports textures.
I provided an example with this yesterday.

> As far as the graphics state, I can't imagine how you would do this
> without
> that.  You'd never be able to back out of your clipping.  You also
> wouldn't
> be able to return the document back to its original state.  If you have
> the
> saves and restores balanced it'll work.  Debugging pdf output is not easy.

        This is not hard, it's only a matter of balancing save/restore and
keeping track of the setColorFill().

> To figure out my clipping problem I have to modify the PdfContentByte code
> to print the pdf doc without encryption.

        Use Document.compress = false to disable compression.

        Best Regards,
        Paulo Soares