Hi,

i played around with the profiling infos from the JVM and it turnes out
that formatDouble creates a lot of temporary byte[] and char[] and
String and StringBuffer's. I already implemented a simple cache and the
overall speed of a 23 page report is 10% better, memory usage without
garbage collection is 40% less. Is anyone else trying to optimize speed
and memory footprint of itext currently?

The simple cache just caches all converted numbers from -32768 to 32768
and returns the cached bytes instead of recalculating them with
getISOBytes again.

I will also implement a cache for ascii based String with a length <=2,
this should also increase performance and reduce memory usage because
getISOBytes shouldnt get called in this either.

regards, david