No need to get out of java, see the thread
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8175/2002/3/250/8076819/.
You'll have to use MS jvm for this to work.
Use the jdk1.1.x version (at my site) and the collection classes. I've never
tried it but if it works with iText I would appreciate some feedback on how
it was done.

Best Regards,
Paulo Soares