At 10:24 AM 7/6/2006, Andrew Thompson wrote:
>Well basically I have an image that has a scale bar of 2.91

         At what resolution?   72dpi or 96dpi?

>but when it is inserted into the pdf document it is being displayed as 3.4cm,

         Are you providing a transform when you place it into the PDF?

>  if the pdf does not have a dpi then where has this default of
> 72dpi arisen from?

         Because the default "transformation matrix" in a PDF is 72
USER UNITS to an inch, but that's not an actual "dots per inch" (dpi)
since vector and textual data have no "dots".

         When placing an image, unless you specify a transform, the
pixels in the image are assumed to be in user units (so there would
be 72 of them to an inch, which would be logically equivalent to
72dpi).  If you wish to adjust the relationship of pixels to user
units for this particular image, then you apply a transform when you
place the image.

         OK?

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                              215-938-0880 (fax)