There are several standard reasons for using 64-bit Java. Two principal ones:

1) your app needs more than 4GB of heap
2) your Java apps needs to run in 64-bit space. Here is IBM's description of
this particular situation: "There are Java programs that have to run within
the process of a 64-bit application or subsystem. An example of this occurs
where a Stored Procedure is implemented using the Java platform within a
database such as IBM’s DB2."

Both of these circumstances seem pretty rare at the moment (vide the lack of
response to your query and no further info from the original post-er), but I
suspect they will become more common in due time.

---mr. bean