writer.getExtraCatalog().put(PdfName.LANG, new
PdfString("es"));

               Image img;

                PdfContentByte cb = writer.getDirectContent();

                PdfStructureElement eTop = new PdfStructureElement(root, new
PdfName("MyDocumentTag"));
                root.mapRole(new PdfName("MyDocumentTag"), new
PdfName("Document"));

                PdfStructureElement tag = new PdfStructureElement(eTop, new
PdfName("MyImageTag"));
                root.mapRole(new PdfName("MyImageTag), new
PdfName("Figure"));

                        tag.put(new PdfName("Alt"), new PdfString("This is
my alternate text"));
                        cb.beginMarkedContentSequence(tag);
                        cb.addImage(img);
                        cb.endMarkedContentSequence();