I had to do a similar thing for a large insurance company that had
thousands of PDFs created using Word, Quark, etc., and needed them
converted to fillable PDFs.
I had to find all of the text and graphics (mostly long horizontal
lines) and drop fields on top of them, and then build a UI component
to allow them to associate the
fields with stuff out of the database.   It works well, but it's not
something terribly easy to do.   I had to use iText and Apache's
PDFBox to pull it off.
You'll need to download the PDF spec and become familiar with how a
PDF is constructed.  Probably a few weeks worth, but it's doable.

On Jun 15, 2009, at 2:52 AM, beppecosta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to scan a pdf for given string markers (like "#1",
> #2", or
> similar patterns) and get their x,y coordinates ?
>
> Step 2 would be to put some text or images or some other content
> right over
> these markers.
>
> Or - are there some other suggestions - to automate this process ?
>
> Thanks.
> Giuseppe.
> --

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php
> Check the site with examples before you ask questions:
> http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/
> You can also search the keywords list: http://1t3xt.info/tutorials/keywords/

The human mind is an iterative processor, it never does anything right
the first time.  What it does well is to make improvements on every
iteration (deMarco)