Strictly speaking, this requirement cannot be met using page events:

"All parts need to fit tightly together so no spacing between the parts (so
the page footer for the last page can be in the middle of the page depending
on the size of  the report)"

Page events, which trigger the printing of headers and footers, occur only
at the end of the page, not in the middle. This is, of course, why they're
called headers/footers, as I suspect you know.

If you can let go of that requirement, then:

In your shoes, I would make a header/footer table with two rows and move the
lines of text in and out (and move them up when there's only one line)
depending on where you are in the document.

Finally, you should note that if you look at the code for implementing
footers and headers, you're running pretty close to the metal, well paper
;-) You can emit the correct text yourself rather than depending on iText to
do the work for you. That option will require some study of how iText is
implemented.

---mr. bean