Hello Leonard & Mark, Thanks for the Reply.

   Explanation for the Loenard question,

why not just process all of your PDFs through Multivalent before sending
them along...
   We do not want to use multivalent tool as this project is not active on
sourceforge, the licensing also little convoluted and the source code is not
available for this project. As we all know all kinds of critical problems
will come in production most of the times :)   we do not want to take the
chance.

The explanation is given below as part of the answer for Mark's question,

how are you adding the images?

We are doing some thing called image translation to rectify some problem
with image (I am adding that image for your reference) and passing the
java.awt.Image which comes as a result of above translation to IText. The
sample code for translation is given below,

>       public java.awt.Image translate( InputStream inFile , boolean
> isMonochrome ) throws Exception {
>               BufferedImage im = ImageIO.read(imageStream);
>               waitForImage(img);
>               BufferedImage outImage = null;
>               if( isMonochrome )
>               outImage = new BufferedImage(im.getWidth(), im.getHeight(),
> BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY);
>              else
>               outImage = new BufferedImage(im.getWidth(), im.getHeight(),
> BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB);
>              Graphics imageGfx = outImage.getGraphics();
>              imageGfx.drawImage(im, 0, 0, new Color(255, 255, 255), null);
>              imageGfx.dispose();
>              return outImage;
>         }

And feeding it to IText using

Image image = Image.getInstance(awtImage, null);

We couldn’t found exact reason but observed that passing awtImage to
Image.getInstace causing the image size to get huge.

So, As a solution what we did yesterday was writing the awtImage to a temp
file and feeding this temp file to IText using

> Image image = Image.getInstance(tempFilePath)

Solved the problem. The temp file writing code is given below.

> File file = File.createTempFile("translate", ".jpg");
> ImageIO.write((RenderedImage)im, "jpeg", file);

 Now the generated PDF is with less size and if we pass this PDF to
multivalent there is not compression and it shows compression ratio 0%.

Some how we managed to solve. Thanks to one and all for your valuable
support. :)

From the above fix I am still now sure where the problem lies (In the
bufferedImage or  Image.getInstance(awtImage, null);

Any views on this?

http://www.nabble.com/file/p24732832/4.jpg 4.jpg

Thanks,
Srinivas

Mark Storer-2 wrote:

> The reason you're files are shrinking so much has to do with the type of
> compression applied to the images.
>
> In your original file, everything (images, content, etc) are compressed
> with
> FlateDecode (zip).  In the modified files, they use DCTDecode (jpeg).
>
> iText supports writing out JPEG images **that were read in as a JPEG**
> (image.type() == Image.JPEG).  It supports CCITTFaxDecode for images that
> were
> built with raw image data (image.isImgRaw() == true && image.getBpc() >
> 0xFF).
>
> It looks like everything else is written out as FlateDecode... which, as
> you may
> have noticed, is sub-optimal.  :/
>
> So how are you adding the images?
>
> --Mark Storer

> Buy the iText book: http://www.1t3xt.com/docs/book.php
> Check the site with examples before you ask questions:
> http://www.1t3xt.info/examples/
> You can also search the keywords list:
> http://1t3xt.info/tutorials/keywords/

:-):-):-)