Hi all,
I bring up an old issue as I lately had to use this, i.e add "registration
black" typographers marks in a PDF job I output using iText. (Though not an
active forum poster, I am an avid forum reader. :)

According to PDF1.7 Ref, page 266, section 4.5 Color Spaces it is:
1. The name parameter is a name object specifying the name of the colorant
that this Separation color space is intended to represent (or one of the
special names All or None; see below). Such colorant names are arbitrary,
and there can be any number of them, subject to implementation limits.
2. The special colorant name All refers collectively to all colorants
available on an output device, including those for the standard process
colorants. When a Separation space with this colorant name is the current
color space, painting operators apply tint values to all available colorants
at once. This is useful for purposes such as painting registration targets
in the same place on every separation. Such marks are typically painted as
the last step in composing a page to ensure that they are not overwritten by
subsequent painting operations.
So the answer given by Leonard at the time is correct...

On the other hand, using the iText API:
setDefaultColorspace
public void setDefaultColorspace(PdfName name, PdfObject obj)
Sets the default colorspace.
Parameters:
name - the name of the colorspace. It can be PdfName.DEFAULTGRAY,
PdfName.DEFAULTRGB or PdfName.DEFAULTCMYK
obj - the colorspace. A null or PdfNull removes any colorspace with the same
name

In the following code line, PdfName can be SEPARATION along with the other
API options
cb.setDefaultColorspace(PdfName.SEPARATION, PdfObject obj);
but ALL is not an option in iText API, either for a PdfName, or a
PdfObject..

That said, my question remains: how exactly one defines/uses marks as
"registration black" appearing in all color plates, using iText?

On the occasion a great Thanks to Bruno for his excellent work and the new
book under construction!

Thanks all
George