Michael Schmodt wrote:
> I hope, I didn't upset you. This is not what I want. As I said, I like
> iText very much and would like to use it in the future. I respect your
> decission to change the license and to get a share from the profits of
> those, who use your lib. Try to see this debate as a valuable feedback
> to determine optimal  prices for the lib, that can maximize your income
> as well.

This is all very interesting information for me.
I'll discuss it with the sales people when the time is right.
(That is: after I've met the final deadline for the book.)

Dave: I don't know the rates for iText, I can only see the revenue.
I have a dayjob at the University AND I develop AND I write a book.
I'm combining three half time jobs for the moment.
Therefore I don't have the time to do sales at this moment.

About the book: it's $59.99 (paper) or $34.99 (ebook), and I only
get 10% Royalty on the profits. About 11.000 copies were sold of
the first edition, generating about $28,000 in Royalties. That's
an average of $2.50 revenue per book for me as the author.

(When people buy the book from Manning, I get more; when people
get it from Amazon, I get close to nothing because the profits on
a book sold through Amazon are much lower.)

The first book took me 3 months of preparation, 6 months of writing,
the production phase took 9 months (but that was exceptional: at first
Manning didn't want to publish the book, so I had to do a marketing
survey first). During those months, my half time job at the University
was my only source of revenue.

The second edition took only a month of preparation, and about 7 months
to write (because I created a new set of examples). The production phase
should be much shorter than for the first edition.

Hmm... this isn't about licenses anymore, but the book is my main
focus for the moment, and this info may be interesting for people
who want to start writing a book ;-)

best regards,
Bruno