Hi Mobile,

 So Xamarin > Monotouch provides a PDF library that runs on iOS and Android
> and can be used to generate offline PDFs from a device-side database?

No it doesn't.
However you can try to run iTextSharp on that platform and hope that
everything will work on each device. (Which i personally doubt - but give
it a try) E.g. barcode generation will not work etc.

Someone tried it already and (lucky for you) put up the source code:
https://github.com/mapo80/iTextSharp-Monotouch

http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Itextsharp-td3770742.html
http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Monotouch-and-iTextSharp-td4586709.html
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/6ROpvazIfN1FlyyGh7mW