The encoding has nothing to do with the way the fonts are displayed.
All the encoding used in iText allow for text extraction, maybe the
problem is in the viewer (if it's not Acrobat). I suppose you are
using a recent iText version and not simulating bold and embedding the
fonts. The usual advice is to post the problematic PDFs for
inspection, that is, if you want some kind of informed answer.

Paulo