Hallo,

Thanks for the quick answer.  Please see my comments:

>Resources are usually reused by different pages. Sometimes content is stored
>as a resource (XObjects).
That's why we want to decompose pages. We will have a large amount of PDF files
which we will need to store somehow. What we want to achieve is the maximal
compression, so we count that we will store the same parts (like fonts and
resources) only once.

>Sometimes all the content of a page is stored in a resource.
Yes, I agree for example if the page itself is only wrapped image.

>Also: some information about a page stream isn't referred to from the
>/Resources dictionary of a page, but it's stored elsewhere, e.g. in an outline
>tree, in a structure tree,...
I am not speaking only about /Resources dictionary. By "resources" I mean
everything what is needed to recreate visual appearance of the page regardless
where/how it is stored. Our PDF's are not such special, only font's and
graphics is used.

>At first sight, the question looks like a requirement from somebody who
>doesn't understand what PDF is about. Or like a requirement from somebody who
>is trying to reinvent PDF/VT.
That's why I am asking you - the PDF's masters. Nobody is perfect and able to
know everything ;-)

>You'll have to explain WHY you need to decompose the PDF documents and then
>later compose them based on the different parts. iText offers you low level
>functionality to rip any PDF apart and it has methods that allow you to stitch
>a PDF together >using different objects. However: it's something you should
>avoid if you don't know ISO-32000-1 back to back.
Why ? Because we will have a lot of very similar PDF's with the similar
resources and want to store them into DB with the maximal possible compression.
We do not want to dig into ISO-32000-1 specification to deep, that's why we
want to use some library like iText. For example with PDModel which is offered
by some of the other PDF tools we are able to do what we want. But we want to
use iText and therefore we are asking for iText support in this area.

Hope now it is little bit clear :-)

Best regards,

Tomas Bucki