On 8/6/2014 10:01 AM, Pichtchikov, Alexandre wrote:
I am merging tagged pdf with untagged pdf. I am getting exception when I close Document object:
NullPointerException(PdfCopy.java:890)
    Call stack
com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfCopy.fixTaggedStructure(PdfCopy.java:890)
com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfCopy.flushTaggedObjects(PdfCopy.java:866)
com.itextpdf.text.pdf.PdfDocument.close(PdfDocument.java:855)
com.itextpdf.text.Document.close(Document.java:416)
Code:
PdfReader basePDF = new PdfReader( byteArray );
PdfReader legendInformation = new PdfReader( legendsStaticPDFs.get( language ) );
boolean isBasePDFTagged = basePDF.isTagged();
boolean islegendInformationTagged = legendInformation.isTagged();
        // Representation of the resultant, merged, PDF
Document document = new Document( basePDF.getPageSize( 1 ) );
// Wrap the target PDF in something concrete to facilitate adding pages
ByteArrayOutputStream outputStreamNew = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
PdfCopy newPDF = new PdfCopy( document, outputStreamNew );
newPDF.setTagged();
        // Set the PDF language (Accessibility standards)
newPDF.getExtraCatalog().put(PdfName.LANG,
new PdfString( language.locale.getLanguage() ) );
        // Set the PDF document title (Accessibility standards)
newPDF.getInfo().put(PdfName.TITLE, new PdfString(
messageSourceAccessor.getMessage(
"statement.pdf.title." + language.locale.getLanguage() ) ) );
document.open();
appendPDF( newPDF, basePDF );
//appendPDF( newPDF, legendInformation );
document.close();
I checked this _Merging Tagged PDF without ruining the tags_ <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19839445/merging-tagged-pdf-without-ruining-the-tags>, and have found that it should be fixed, but it still exist at least in iText 5.5.2 I used. Is it any work around? Could PageName.PG be set manually? Thanks in advance.
It looks like NullPointerException(PdfCopy.java:890) is generated at this line:

HashMap<Integer, PdfIndirectReference> numTree = structureTreeRoot.getNumTree();//iText 5.5.2;PdfCopy.java:890

structureTreeRoot can be null in case the method getImportedPage(PdfReader, int, boolean) was used without keeping tagged structure (which would be wrong use of iText). Unfortunately, this code is hidden in your appendPDF() method so we can't check if you're doing something wrong or if there's really a problem inside iText.

The issue with a PG key has been fixed in iText 5.5.0.