I'm getting the "no eeprom present" error message in dmesg when
until a few days ago when it seems that I experienced a kernel oops or
panic. The machine was frozen in X so I couldn't see the console, and
sshd didn't respond, so I don't know exactly what happened to it.
After the reboot, I couldn't get the card to load.

Gentoo Linux
Kernel: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5
IVTV: 0.9.1

This is the dmesg output with NO modprobe options (autodetect):

ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv:  version 0.9.1 (tagged release) loading
ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 preempt mod_unload PENTIUM4
ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
ivtv:  the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines, along with
ivtv:  any module options, when mailing the ivtv-users mailinglist.
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
tveeprom 1-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
tveeprom 1-0050: Ran out of data!
ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM
ivtv0: Failed to load module tuner
ivtv0 warning: Encoder mailbox not found
ivtv0 warning: Decoder mailbox not found
ivtv0: Error locating firmware.
ivtv0: Error -12 on initialization
ivtv: probe of 0000:02:0a.0 failed with error -12
ivtv:  ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

The timestamps from start to end range about 45 seconds.

Using 'modprobe tveeprom debug=1', and then 'modprobe ivtv newi2c=1':
ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv:  version 0.9.1 (tagged release) loading
ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 preempt mod_unload PENTIUM4
ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
ivtv:  the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines, along with
ivtv:  any module options, when mailing the ivtv-users mailinglist.
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
tveeprom 1-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
syslog-ng[5949]: Message length overflow, line is split, log_msg_size=2048
<... tveeprom debug messages snipped and copied here:
http://www.privatepaste.com/90QLSJ1HOF ...>
tveeprom 1-0050: Not sure what to do with tag [f2]
tveeprom 1-0050: Ran out of data!
ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM
ivtv0 warning: Encoder mailbox not found
ivtv0 warning: Decoder mailbox not found
ivtv0: Error locating firmware.
ivtv0: Error -12 on initialization
ivtv: probe of 0000:02:0a.0 failed with error -12
ivtv:  ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

Note the tveeprom debug messages can be found here:
http://www.privatepaste.com/90QLSJ1HOF (its way too much data to
clutter up the list with...)

I then tried it again with newi2c=0:

Feb  4 17:36:07 mythika ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
tveeprom 1-0050: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
tveeprom 1-0050: Ran out of data!
ivtv0: Invalid EEPROM
ivtv0 warning: Encoder mailbox not found
ivtv0 warning: Decoder mailbox not found
ivtv0: Error locating firmware.
ivtv0: Error -12 on initialization
ivtv: probe of 0000:02:0a.0 failed with error -12
ivtv:  ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

As you can see, the error messages are mostly the same no matter what
options I use for newi2c.

This is the output of lspci:
-----
# lspci
02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
-----

However, one thing I've noticed, and I don't think it has anything to
do with this problem, but I thought I'd point it out just in case, is
that there are 3 other cards in my system that are no longer
recognized in lspci.  They were recognized before the kernel panic
happened, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the
problem, or if it was an updated package that I installed that is
causing it...

02:07.0 Network controller: Unknown device 004c:8400
02:08.0 Network controller: Unknown device 03d0:2103 (rev 02)
02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Unknown device 0013:6003 (rev 01)

The card itself is recognized with the correct VID/PID, but the device
descriptions can't be found for some reason.  The first one is my
TI-ACX100 wireless network card, which doesn't work.  The 2nd one is
my sound card, a cs46xx Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 sound card, which
doesn't work.  The 3rd one is my HDTV tuner card, a Technisat
Airstar2/HD5000 card, which really has never worked properly and I'm
ordering a new HD tuner card to see if it works better.

My concern is that I'm hoping whatever caused the kernel panic didn't
permanently damage my PCI bus and/or those 3 PCI cards.

Are there any other suggestions I should look at?  I've tried
recompiling my kernel with no difference, and I also tried recompiling
every portage package on my machine (using 'emerge --deep --emptytree
world' to see if that helps, and it didn't.  Is it possible that this
is a permanent hardware failure?