On Feb 16, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Friday 16 February 2007 06:57, Ricardo Lugo wrote:
>> Hans,
>>
>> I've been using the trunk r3799, and keep getting the following
>> warnings in my dmesg.
>>
>> Feb 15 20:40:59 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 178891420 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 178892017 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 178899861 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 178891420 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube last message repeated 7 times
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 155756842 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
>> 178891420 (>= 400)
>> Feb 15 20:41:43 tube last message repeated 13 times
>>
>> These are posted during recording (that was all the machine was
>> doing). This is on my SMP PPC machine. The recording was 1-hour long
>> and performed by MythTV using my PVR-350 yesterday. Yet, the machine
>> has not been rebooted and it recorded a 1-hour show just fine
>> tonight. What does this mean?
>
> ivtv-0.10.0 has a new feature where you can obtain an index into the
> mpeg file from the card's hardware. That way you can very cheaply
> determine where each frame begins in the mpeg file. That's very nice,
> but it looks as if sometimes the index in the card's ringbuffer gets
> corrupted. At least, that's what this message indicates.
>
> Can you tell whether these messages appeared directly when the
> recording
> started? Are they only intermittent? In the log excerpt I see a gap
> between the first and second warning, but I can't tell how it
> continuous afterwards.

Hans,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

They are intermittent. In the above case, we are 40 minutes into the
recording and commercial flagging. Again a few nights ago I got some
more Invalid PGM Index errors, but they are now being accompanied by
DMA Errors, and a hard-lockup of the machine immediately after this
error.

Mar  8 19:48:09 tube -- MARK --
Mar  8 19:59:53 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
178891420 (>= 400)
Mar  8 20:28:09 tube -- MARK --
Mar  8 20:47:22 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: Invalid PGM index
178891420 (>= 400)
Mar  8 20:48:08 tube kernel: ivtv0 warning: DMA ERROR 00000003
00000000 00000003 -1

Hope this helps,

  Rick