Hmm....

First of all, every module must have an ivy.xml file to describe it.

If what you want to resolve is a module, then you can do that with the
inline ant tasks. Then you are specifying the module name and letting ivy
(using your ivy settings) locate the corresponding ivy.xml file, process the
dependencies, etc.

If what you want to do is define a new module inline (including one or more
dependencies) and then resolve it, then you are essentially trying to
"inline" and ivy.xml file and I don't think ivy currently supports that. I
don't see why you would need the ability to do this anyway... you can always
just put the module meta-data into a local ivy.xml file and then refer to
it.

Not sure what you're trying to do but I typically do this kind of thing for
software projects. Each project has it's own ivy.xml that defines
configurations like "compile", "test", etc. When I need to build the
classpath for the "javac" task, I use an inline call to <ivy:cachepath> or
whatever to get the JARs associated with the "compile" configuration, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs