Guys,
Using java 1.4 you can set the system property java.awt.Headless=true to allow you to
use much, but not all, of AWT in a headless system.

I can't remember what doesn't work, I know it's things that aren't appropriate to a
headless system like Component and its sub-classes, but awt.Image and all that related
drawing functionality works, and so it should.
Be warned though, the actual quality of images drawn, particularly font rendering, is
noticably not as good, and if you are serious about using graphics contexts there is
really no substitute for using a native context, i.e. X on *nix.

d.