Angelo Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Look at tya, and you see that it uses a lot of undocumented things to

Some words about TYA:
There's not much undocumented. As long JITted methods are calling
other JITted methods I did not care about any interface to JVM,
and wrote my own. The price we pay is that it costs huge amounts of
time to differ between JNI, old NMI and JIT methods during runtime,
except for finals and statics.

> Sorry no time for that :-( BTW: Once there wath a assembler for Acorn
> Archimedes Machines, called TYA (or TLA?) is there a realtion?

> I don't know why, I always found the speed of JAVA incredible low!
> Fact: UCSD PAscal used a bytecode very similar to JBC. It was on an 8

I don't know what USCD Pascal did, but in Java you have some
condiserable overhead of tests for security reasons, for example range
checking in array access.  Usual you have no way to switch off that, but
BTW in TYA you could uncomment some lines - for testing purpose only -
and if you really know that you don't need this feature.

Or think of generating ArrayStoreExceptions, IncompatibleClassChangeErrors
etc.

At last the word "TYA" is somewhat inpired by Beatles' Sgt Pepper album,
maybe you know
"It was Twenty Years Ago today when Sgt Pepper taught the band to play"
later I've found that it was "Two Years Ago" when Sun taught us to
play Java, that was in Summer 1997 as I started TYA for Randy Chapman's
JDK1.02 port. So it choosed this nice acronym ;)

> Best Regards,
>       Angelo
Cheers,
Albrecht