[Patrick Spingys]
> I think in the future Sun brings out a new VM, which is written for
> 64-bit machines. I don't said, that it is usefull for now, to write
> anything like this.  I have a Pentium, so my computer is "only"
> 32-bit, too. But I think for the future it is good to begin in this
> time a project which creates an Java-like for 64-bit machines. And
> because the most people of now have an 32-computer,

I do not understand why anyone want to make programs use 64 bit values
if they don't need it.  That would only make programs larger and
slower.

You seem to assume 32-bit machines are slower then 64-bit machines.
There is no such general rule.  I am not convinced that it will give
any performance gain in the short to medium time scale.  It is like
increasing the jump range of a branch instruction - ignoring the fact
that most braches are local and only needs a really small jump range.
--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]