Note - I am very new to jasper reports so I am apologetic if this message is
obvious to most.

I am working on a jasper report that models an invoice.  The report was
initially created using a data source that represented the entire set of
data for the invoice.  It was granular down to the invoice item level, and
each row in the data source would contain information such as the company's
address, phone, customer's name, shipping address, subtotal information, as
well as information related to the actual invoice items.

My initial inkling was that we should model this report as a series of
sub-reports.  Picture the company logo in the top left, company contact
details in the top right, then the customer details in the "middle" left,
with order details in the middle right, finally the set of invoice items,
and then the subtotal information.  The main motivation here was to create a
series of subreports that could be used on various report.  It also allowed
me to create a more specific datasource query to bind to the various
sub-reports which would avoid cardinality issues as well as aiding in making
it more testable.

Question #1: Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better way to model
multiple queries to the same final report.

Question #2: The trouble I am having is actually laying out the sub-reports
so that they flow from the one to the other without creating empty space on
the final report.  What properties should I be setting?  Picture a report
that has 3 sub-reports in a band where the middle sub-report actually
contains no data.  I would want sub-report #1 and #3 to have no space
between them (from #2).  Moreover, if #2 has a lot of data I would like to
have it auto-expand and not cause #3's data to overlap.

Thank you very much!
Bob