I'm very sorry, but this is plain nonsense. First: usually you don't need
the server know the full local directory path of your file (it's not servers
business, and if this would be required, then I'd avoid that application),
and second: the "file" input tag is plain HTML, and all browsers do handle
it (more or less) identically, so this is not a IE vs Mozilla or whatever
issue.

Instead of fighting with file upload on lowest level, use a library, e.g.
this: http://commons.apache.org/fileupload/