On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:15:29 -0500 (EST), Aaron Gaudio wrote:

>It was my understanding that Java source code is only guaranteed to work if
>it's ASCII, but I may be wrong about that. Obviously, though, ASCII

The JLS specifies that source code is either in ISO-Latin-1 or UNICODE.
(ISO-Latin-1 is page 0 UNICODE)

Now, how this affects the native system and possible problems with
filesystems that do not support full ISO-Latin-1 or UNICODE since the
class names are also used in the file name.

So, while Java should support this, there may be issues related to the
interface with the OS and/or limitations of the OS if the class name
has characters that are "outside" the scope of the OS.

Michael Sinz -- Director of Research & Development, NextBus Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] --------- http://www.nextbus.com
My place on the web ---> http://www.users.fast.net/~michael_sinz