On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:23:44 -0700, Jason Proctor wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've noticed that exception stack traces sometimes print helpful line
>numbers and sometimes print "Compiled Code" instead of line numbers. The
>latter is quite annoying when tracking down bugs and I was wondering what
>determines whether line numbers are included or not. It seems to be random,
>even in the code I'm writing myself!
>
>Does anyone know what determines this, and whether there's a way of always
>getting line numbers? Thanks in advance.

Normally, "Compiled Code" is output due to the fact that you are running
a JIT of some sort.  Run without it and you will get the line numbers.

It is also possible to build java byte code without line number information
in it.  Usually this is done with "-O" in things like jikes and javac.

Michael Sinz -- Director of Research & Development, NextBus Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] --------- http://www.nextbus.com
My place on the web ---> http://www.users.fast.net/~michael_sinz