From: "Tanguy Monfort" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am going to install the Familiar distribution on my Ipaq (H3800),
> and I would like to know whether the Blackdown should be installed
> on it, letting some free space after.

Blackdown provides JRE 1.3.1 RC1 for Linux/ARM as you may know.

There are other approaches.
At least, J2ME Personal Profile for Zaurus is one.

  J2ME(TM) Personal Profile for Zaurus
  http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/pp4zaurus/

I have succeeded to run this Java runtime on the Familiar Linux v0.6.1
/ iPAQ Pocket PC H3660 with some tweaks.  When I install the Familiar
distribution, I chose Opie rather than GPE because that J2ME PP uses
Qt to draw images.  And, I had to make a symbolic link as the follows:

  # cd /home
  # ln -s /opt/QtPalmtop .

Note that Blackdown's JRE uses X, not Qt, to draw images.

> I would like to write some apps using AWT (and maybe swing but it
> depends on the limitations of the JVM), and communicating with
> PCMCIA cards. I will also need JNI

Blackdown's one supports AWT and Swing because it is a full-featured
JRE.  JNI is also probably supported.

J2ME Personal Profile for Zaurus supports AWT, but not Swing.  It's
possible to add classfiles to the runtime class library
(personal.jar), but it will be difficult to add Swing because Swing
also needs Java 2D and they are large.

I am not sure whether Swing with Blackdown JRE is practical or not for
you.  IPAQDemo.jar, which is a Swing demo program provided by
Blackdown, takes about 90 sec to start up.

Blackdown JRE on ARM is certainly slower than J2ME PP.
I have made a benchmark with those runtimes.
Linpack benchmark shows the following results:

  Blackdown JRE  0.038 MFlops
  J2ME PP        1.565 MFlops

Yes, Linpack benchmark is not good for benchmarking those runtimes
because flopating-point operations are performed by software emulating
FPU.  What the benchmark measures is not clear.  But, J2ME PP is much
faster I suppose.

  Kazuyuki Shudo        [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.shudo.net/