We are beginning to port our Java application to Linux and want to ensure that we are testing on a configuration that is sufficiently "typical" to maximize our chances that it will run for our users. My assumption is that we will use Blackdown Java 1.4.x, but what version of Linux is most commonly used to host and/or best suited to to this version of Java? (Perhaps this is a ill-informed question and any Linux version can host this implementation of Java.)

Are there known issues with any Linux products and Blackdown Java 1.4.2? Where would I find out details?

Finally, two questions about packaging for Java on Linux. How do I go about making Java aware of the window manager under which it is being run, so that the style of our widgets can match the hosting environment? I am aware of the SLAF package which contains look and feel implementations for some common window managers. How might I detect the currently running WM and instantiate the appropriate look and feel?

KDE has the option of using a Mac-style menu bar associated with the monitor, rather than associated with each window. How could I detect that the user has this preference set, and make my application respond accordingly.

Thanks for any pointers.

-- Dave