Thank you for the help. Using LD_PRELOAD, I was able to change the error
quite a bit. Now it fails after starting the JVM because the current
stack is corrupt. I am not sure if this is an improvement or not, but it
does mean I should be able to try various JVMs. Unfortunately, I have
been building my code against 1.5 which is not rt.jar compatible with
previous versions. In particular, there seems to be Byte.valueOf() now
instead of new Byte -- at least I think that is one of the
inconsistencies that I ran across. Because of it, I have moved all of my
code forward to 1.5. I certainly did not foresee this as a problem.

Hopefully you all will have a 1.5 JVM soon...