Niclas,

thank you for your reply.

> I think you are thinking in the wrong terms. Let Apache not find the
resource,
> or any servlet returning a 404 error. Apache will then look at the
> ErrorDocument directive to see what to do.

No. Apache obviously forwards the *.shtml request to the handler configured
(AddHandler directive) without doing any check regarding the availability of
the requested resource.

> The ErrorDocument directive (normally found in srm.conf). Either place a
> document or a complete URL for what to be served instead. For instance;

If this would be the problem the standard Apache 404 response would have
been returned - but again, Apache does not notice the problem (since the
request gets forwarded to JServ/JersSSI) and I could not find any hints in
the JServeSSI docs :-(

If you would like to see a real world example try

http://www.wuw.de/hallo.html
(file does not exist, Apache responds according to the ErrorDocument
directive)

http://www.wuw.de/hallo.shtml
(file does not exist,but request gets forwarded to JServSSI which in turn
will send an error message)

Any hints are warmly welcomed!
Michael