Hmmm, that's a great lucene architecture question.
Should one be allowed to sort on a field that doesn't exist?
One *can* query on fields that don't exist (and that's correct in my view).

The thing is, lucene field creation is lazy... just because the field
doesn't exist now doesn't mean that it won't exist later.  The field
one is sorting on doesn't even have to exist in all the documents.  I
think it would be even more confusing for an invalid query suddenly
becoming a valid query in the future just because someone added a doc
with that field indexed (esp since that doc may not even match the
query being sorted).

In short, I think sorting should act like querying (no exception if
field doesn't exist yet).

-Yonik