On Friday 03 Jun 2005 01:06, Bob Cheung wrote:
> For the StandardAnalyzer, will it have to be modified to accept
> different character encodings.
>
> We have customers in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.  Chinese data may come
> in 3 different encoding:  Big5, GB and UTF8.
>
> What is the default encoding for the StandardAnalyser.

The analysers themselves do not worry about encodings, per se. Java uses
Unicode strings throughout, which is adequate enough to describing all
languages.  When reading in text files, it's a matter of letting the reader
know which encoding the file is in, this helps Java to read in the text, and
essentially map that encoding to the Unicode encoding. All the string
operations, like analysing are done on these Unicode strings.

So, the task is making sure the file reader you use to open a document for
indexing is given the required information for correctly decoding your file.
If you don't specify, Java will use one based on the locale that your OS
uses. For me, that's Latin1 as I'm in Britain. This clearly is inadequate for
non-Latin texts and wouldn't be able to read in Chinese texts properly as the
Latin1 encoding doesn't support such characters. You need to specify Big5
yourself. Read the info on InputStreamReaders:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/io/InputStreamReader.html

Andy