Hi,
 I have the similar problem to deal with. In fact, a lot of times, the
documents do not have any lanugage information or it may contain text in
multiple languages. Further, the user would not like to always supply this
information. Also the user may very well be interested in documents in
multiple language.
 I think Google and other search engines allow indexing multi-lanugage
documents. For example, if you google "Java", there will many matched
documents in lanugages other than English.
 The only assumption we can make is that the document text are converted to
Unicode before feeding to Lucene.

So I think the solution should be (1) create one index for all lanugage (2)
add an advisory attribute like "lang" to specify the language of the
document; if the language is unknown, just leave it empty or set to "ANY";
(3) based on the code pages of the upcoming Unicode character, we
automatically switch among different analyzers to index the fragments of the
text; (4) during search, unless the user explicitly requesting documents in
certain language, we return all matches regardless of lanugage.
 I have browsed through the Lucene and contributed source codes, but I
cannot tell which analyzer is suitable for use (in (3).) While the logic for
such an analyzer is probably not too complicate, it seems to demand quite
some Unicode knowledge to create one.
 Is my approach the right one? Is there an analyzer suitable to use?
 Thanks.
- HB