From: Yonik Seeley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 9:28 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: java on 64 bits

1) make sure the failure was due to an OutOfMemory exception and not
something else.
2) if you have enough memory, increase the max JVM heap size (-Xmx)
3) if you don't need more than 1.5G or so of heap, use the 32 bit JVM
instead (depending on architecture, it can acutally be a little faster
because more references fit in the CPU cache).
4) see how many indexed fields you have and if you can consolidate any
of
them
4.5) if you don't have too many indexed fields, and have enough spare
file
descriptors, try using the non-compound file format instead.
5) run with the latest version of lucene (1.9 dev version) which may
have
better memory usage during optimizes & segment merges.
6) If/when optional norms
makes it into lucene, you can apply it to any indexed fields for which
you
don't need index-time boosting or length normalization.

As for getting rid of your current intermediate files, I'd rebuild from
scratch just to ensure things are OK.

-Yonik
Now hiring -- http://tinyurl.com/7m67g