Do you have any deletions in the non-optimized version of the index?
If so, a bug was fixed recently that made for some very slow queries:

You could also try a smaller mergeFactor, which would slow indexing,
but decrease the number of segments, and hence speed searching.

-Yonik
Now hiring -- http://forms.cnet.com/slink?231706