On 2/22/06, Paul Elschot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Typical Query:
> > ---------------------
> > Consists of 15 to 30 query terms. In other words, these query terms
> > represent a conceptual section.
>
> Would you need synonyms of these terms, too?

Yes.

> > (2) After considering the way different queries work and their
> limitations,
> > I think forming phrase/span queries of groups of query terms
> > might approximate the rankings I am expecting. In that case which of the
> > following queries will perform better (in terms of QUERY SPEED and
> RANKING)
> >               (a) phrase query with certain slope factor
> >               (b) span query
>
> SpanQuery is slower than PhraseQuery, but it has the advantage that it can
> be nested. Nesting here means the possibility to use eg. a short phrase as
> a unit to be matched and scored.

I wasn't aware of the capability to nest spanquery. Is there a link where I
could read more about this?

 To formulate a single query for your requirements,
> there is still the problem that PhraseQuery and SpanQuery only work when
> all their "terms" are present in an indexed lucene document field.
> Putting it differently, when fewer terms present, their order cannot
> be taken into account, unless the query contains an (non)ordered query
> specifying a subset of the terms present in the documents.

I was thinking of building a boolean combination of either phrase/span query
on subset of terms. Though its not exhaustive, but might be sufficient in
majority of the cases.

An alternative to the current span query implementation is here:
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-413
> but this will only help to get an impression of how to match in the
> ordered
> and unordered cases.
> It might be possible to generalize the various span algorithms there and
> in the trunk to work with fewer "terms".

I will consider that option.

Thanks,

Rajesh Munavalli