From: Lawrence [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 1:07 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: 100,000 indexes and what to do

Hi all,

I was reading one of the posting on concurrency and I reread section 9.1
in Lucene in Action which lead me to this question. I have 100,000
customers and I want to provide them with personal searching for their
documents and sometimes to include company documents in that search.

1.      100,000 customers with 10-20 small document each.
2.      Company 5,000 documents, specification, papers, research, etc.
3.      Customers can search their own documents and company document.

P1: Do I provide an index for each customer and allow them multiple
index searching, into company document when they need it?

OR

P2: Do I provide one large index for all my 100,000 customers, adding a
field for customer ID so searching can be constrained, so they
won't/can't search across other customer's documents, and then
categorize company documents so customers can do multiple index searches
into company documents?

After writing this out I realize that P2 is probably the wiser choice,
less complicated, but I would like to hear from other Luceners.

Lucene in Action is one of the best written books in my library of ~300
CS books. It ranks in completeness and clarity up there with works by
David Geary, Martin Fowler, and other Hatcher greats like Java
Development with Ant.

Thanks Otis and Erik.

Regards, Lawrence