> Out of interest, does indexing time speed up much on 64-bit hardware?

I was able to speed up indexing on 64-bit platform by taking advantage of
the larger address space to parallelize the indexing process. One thread
creates index segments with a set of RAMDirectories and another thread
merges the segments to disk with 'addIndexes'. This resulted in a speed
improvement of 27%.

Peter