Erik Hatcher wrote:
On Apr 28, 2006, at 5:35 AM, Eric Jain wrote:
What is the best way to prevent a phrase query such as "eggs white" matching "fried eggs\nwhite snow"?

Two possibilities I have thought about:

1. Replace all line breaks with a special string, e.g. "newline".
2. Have an analyzer somehow increment the position of a term for each line break it encounters.

Latter seems a bit more complicated to implement, but it would also be more efficient, right? Or are there better options?

#2 shouldn't be too hard to implement, but you'll need to catch new lines in the initial tokenizer. I'm not sure about the efficiency, both options would require a tokenizer detecting new lines and either injecting a new term or setting a flag such that the next term gets a position increment bump.

Thanks, #2 turned out to be easier to implement than expected. I should have precised that the "efficiency" I was concerned about was not the efficiency of the tokenization, but the impact of having all those additional "newline" term (positions) in the index.