Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/06/2006 04:36:45
PM:

> Nadav,
>
> Look up one of my onjava.com Lucene articles, where I talk about
> this.  You may also want to tell Lucene to merge segments on disk
> less frequently, which is what mergeFactor does.

Thanks. Can you please point me to the appropriate article (I found one
from March 2003, but I'm not sure if it's the one you meant).

About mergeFactor() - thanks for the hint, I'll try changing it too (I used
20 so far), and see if it helps performance.

Still, there is one thing about mergeFactor(), and the merge process, that
I don't understand: does having more memory help this process at all? Does
having a large mergeFactor() actually require more memory? The reason I'm
asking this that I'm still trying to figure out whether having a machine
with huge ram actually helps Lucene, or not.

Thanks,
Nadav.