Usually a user cannot easily browse 50,000 on a single display, and so you would only highlight the docs as they became visible to the user. This is generally a small amount...often one at a time.

- Mark

moraleslos wrote:
Hi Erik,

Would that slow performance a bit?  For example, say I receive 50,000 hits
from a search.  From your explanation, I have to retrieve the DB id from
each hit, perform a query to the DB using the id to retrieve the full
contents for each hit, run highlighter on each content, and then return? Although I'll give this a shot, it will seem to slow performance on the
searching side of things, wouldn't it?  Thanks for the reply.

-los

Erik Hatcher wrote:
You don't have to store a field to highlight text. If you've got it in your database, retrieve it from there and pass that string to the highlighter instead.

        Erik