great suggestion and Eric's also earlier.  Thank you.
Felix

"Michael D. Curtin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Felix Litman wrote:
> We want to be able to return a result regardless if users use a colon or not
> in the query.  So 'work:' and 'work' query should still return same result.
>
> With the current parser if a user enters 'work:'  with a ":" , Lucene does
> not return anything :-(.   It seems to me the Lucene parser issue.... we are
> wondering if there is any simple way to make the Lucene parser ignore the ":"
> in the query?

The StandardAnalyzer already strips out the colons from the indexed
text, so all you need to do is get rid of them in the query.  Would

   String newquery = query.replace(query, ":", " ");

work?  It uses a space as the new text so that two query words that
happened to be separated by the colon would still be separate words ...

--MDC